1.01.2011

Cowboy Caviar - A New Years Good Luck Charm


This morning after waking up from Mr. Frost biting my toes...seriously below freezing temps here! Checked my inbox and up popped a boot-scootin' cutiebatootie tradition from an old family friend. Here's what he wrote...

Happy New Year 2011

It is a tradition to eat black eyed peas for good luck on new years eve or new years day.......here is a great way to have a tasty good luck charm...Hope you have a magical year!!!!

Paul Versteeg

I'd serve this as a dip to tortilla chips, pita chips, or even as a topping to tacos or grilled meat. If you're an all things veggie slash vegan type - I'd eat this cuddled up in a tortilla as a main course. I plan to make it today - because obviously I totally want to have a perfectly lucky 2011. Duh.


Ingredients (tweeked from orginial):

1 can black eye peas rinsed & drained
1 can black beans rinsed & drained
1 red, yellow, and green pepper diced
1/2 red onion minced
1 cup frozen white corn
4 cloves garlic minced
½ bottle zesty Italian dressing
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Season as much as you like with the following:
Cumin…2 tbs
Hot paprika 1 tbs

Onion salt 1 to 2 tbs.

Dry mustard 1 to 2 tbs.
Chili powder 1 to 2 tb.
Ground black pepper & salt
Couple of dashes of Tabasco or hot sauce
Worchester…couple dashes
The juice from 1/2 a lime

Directions:
Combine all this and let set (refridgerated) 2 hours or up to 12 hours overnight.
Just before serving dice one or two avocado, roma tomatoes, and chopped fresh cilantro.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

My MIL makes black-eyed peas and collard greens, yucko. This looks much better. I have a salsa recipe similar to this that I could eat with a spoon. Got it from Tanj. But I like that this has the black eyed peas. I could use this to carry on the southern tradition, but with my own twist. Great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...